Sunday, July 29, 2012

Drab to Fab in One Weekend

It was kind of like this:


We shot out of the blocks
and went like crazy
painting every thrifty thing that got in the way.

We were like sprinters
with paintbrushes
breaking world records.



Maybe it was in honor of the Olympics.

We were up for the "drab to fab" challenge.

So Rachel pulls in with a load of thrifty finds
that she wants to freshen up
for her apartment.
Good thing she brought her boyfriend Scott (my son)
to help!
Mark and I are on board too.
It will be a "get er done" weekend.

Starting with
and old little dinette set
that was tired (sorry Grandma)
and ready for new life.



We sprayed these pieces with primer.









Then painted semi-gloss white
and charcoal gray.

Next step :
double load the brush with black and gray
and clear glaze
making an application of sweeping linear strokes.



Then using a dry brush
dip into white,
off load onto a paper towel
and sweep across top
adding a worn distressed look.
Then we sealed the tabletop with a polyacrylic.



Then they sanded all of the white
for more of the shabby worn edges.



What a fresh trendy update for her new dinette set.

Then, Thrifty Rachel found an end table at the thrift store
for five dollars.
I forgot to take a picture
because, remember, we were in such a hurry!
But you know the drill.
It was brown wood, plain old, and drab.

Of course.
We took it to fab.
Starting with this dip and drag technique
that you've seen me use on the Texture Blast Table.

Rachel had her color palette planned.
So we just combined several of those colors
for this end table top.



Rachel will have fun picking out new knobs for her table.
Maybe glass?




The bottom of the table was painted
with a double loaded brush of white and gray.



Look how nicely
the two tables complement one another:



Next Up: 
Rachel wanted a chalkboard
similar to this one:



So she found this awesome frame:



Dry Brushed it White,



Mark cut a pice of "underlayment" to fit into the frame.
Scott sprayed it with Black Chaklboard Paint:



Now she has a big chalkboard wall art thingy
that she can write all kinds of fun sentiment on.


Here are some of Rachel's other fun finds
including frames,
ladder wall art that will house photos,
a shelf that we (I mean Mark) cut apart
ridding of the l980's curly top
and shaving it down to a simple 2012 style.



Wow,
I think we finished
all of our
drab to fab
furniture!


Phew.

All of the
fresh changes
will be such a happy makeover for Rachel's space.

The colors work so well together.








Oh yeah,
and I also hosted
a mini craft class
for
"Fish on a Rope"!

I'll share that later this week.

Always appreciate your visit!
Deb


Linking to:


Monday:          DIY Showoff
                       Sumos Sweet Stuff
                       Craftomaniac
                       I should be Mopping the Floor
                       Between Naps on the Porch
                       Boogieboard Cottage
                       The Dedicated House
                       Southern Hospitality
                       Debt Free Mommy

Tuesday:        Coastal Charm
                      Home Stories A to Z
                       Primitive and Proper
                       My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
                       It All Started with Paint

Wednesday:   Savvy Southern Style
                       Homestead Simple

Thursday:      Beyond the Picket Fence
                      The Shabby Creek Cottage
                      The 36th Avenue
                      Embracing Change
                      House of Hepworths
                      Delightful Order
                      Hubby Made Me

Friday:           Miss Mustard Seed
                     Redoux Interiors
                     The Shabby Nest
                     At the Picket Fence

Saturday:     Funky Junk Interiors

32 comments:

Courtney said...

They'll all look fab set up in a house!! It all fits together perfectly!
Great work everyone!!
Seriously jealous of that sunshine you're having over there I see in the pics. I'm a little over winter!

Unknown said...

Ok - I'm officially giving you guys the GOLD...........!
Beautiful job - on everything
Hugs,
Suzan

Emily (newyork) said...

This post was funny in the beginning but wow! definitely great transformations! Love what you did with the picture frames and the table - Great job :)

Deb Hrabik said...

Yep, laughter first...then serious business, ha.

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Wowza, you were on a roll with all those projects! They all look fantastic too. I'm going to try your dip and drag technique soon, I'm loving it after seeing it last week on a piece you did. Now just trying to figure out which piece of furniture I want to try in on. When I finally do get around to what ever it is, I'll sure link back to you to show where I got the inspiration from.
Have a fabulous week!! :0)

Kathy said...

I absolutely LOVE all of the "drab to fab" transformations! Especially loving the dip & drag & cannot wait to try this. Can you please share the color names of the green & turquoise? They are just the shades I am looking for! Thnx...Blessings!

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Kathy,
Small acrylic bottles of craft paint...craft smart Aqua and Americana Hauser Light Green. Then I also used a gray that I mixed and raw sienna.
Hope that helps! Sorry I was in such a hurry, I forgot to photograph some of my steps,
Deb

Kathy said...

Oh, thanks so much!!! Bless you!

Jenny Lynn said...

You deserve a metal! Great job with everything. I love the tables and how they turned out.

Simply Simplisticated said...

What UBER talent!Such origonality in all these pieces.LOVE your work!

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

That coffee table is so unique! Just love the color palette ... and complimentary colorful frames! Gorgeous!

:)

Linda
www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

Cassie Bustamante said...

wow! go for the gold! :) i love it all- especially that dining set!

Laurel Stephens said...

Oh my gosh! I love everything! And I'm exhausted! :)

Tanya from Dans le Lakehouse said...

WOW! That's a lot of DIY goodness. Love the colourful table top finish - it's so unique!

Ada (new york) said...

Holey moley ... you are all Olympians!!! What a GREAT transformation for all the tables and I love the chalkboard w/frame. Gold metal for you all!!!

Unknown said...

I adore your blog, you are so talented! I nominated you today for the sunshine award. If interested you can see what it is all about on my blog. www.homehappyhome.blogspot.com

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I am in love with that dip and drag technique!!! Such a great paint finish. Beautiful work. Thank you so much for linking up to our party! :)
Karah

Donna Wilkes said...

Came over from Shabby Creek. Wow, you exhaust me. I can't believe how much you accomplished - loved the gray and white. My favorite was the multi table top!

Distressed Donna Down Home

Beth said...

Excellent performance - I give your team a 10! ;) I love the "distressed plank work" on the table, very cool technique!

Britni said...

Wow!! What fun projects! I love how you did the table tops, I've never seen that before. It looks like something I might have to try :) I would love if you shared this at my Throwback Thursday party. Hope to see you there! Thanks so much for sharing :) http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-4/

Marian said...

I have to say, my favorite picture here is the runner with paint brushes. Bravo for that one. And you have completely inspired me with the multi-color table top. I am a collagist and I totally want to do a piece now with that kind of thing as the background.

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Marian,
Good choice on the pics! So funny.
You reminded me that I first learned the scraping technique from the paper artist Traci Bautista. I've used the application on canvas as well. It reacts differently to every type of medium.
Thanks for your visit and comment!
Deb

Honey at 2805 said...

Great transformation! I like that fab color finish!

Carrie Barron said...

Fabulous! I love the colors on Rachel's table. Thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Carrie
http://fiveseventeenrepurposing.blogspot.com

Sugarr2518 said...

All of those projects are great! I especially like the end table with the different colors on top! That's truly unique:)

Unknown said...

LOL! Love the olympic sprint theme. I have a new appreciation for all the DIYers out there. I tried a project this week and by the time my hand was shaking you could imagine it might only take two more coats of paint. I absolutely love the grey-topped table. Gorgeous!! Thanks for linking up at Making Space Mondays! Hope to see you at the next party. -Tabitha

Eclectically Vintage said...

Must try your drip & drag technique - that table is amazing!!

So glad you joined our Color party - pinning this!
Kelly

Stacey said...

WOW! I am coming over to your house this weekend! Great makeovers! Impressive!
Thanks for sharing!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Eclectically Vintage said...

Thrilled to feature this today at Crazy for Color party!
Kelly

Bliss said...

I beg you all to come to my house. I can't even get the stuff out of the car in 3 days!

~Bliss~

Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know that I LOVE your blog! I love the texture you create with the cardstock, I can't wait to try it myself. SO cute!

Britni said...

I still just love this! And the color. I'm so thrilled you came to share this super fun project at my Throwback Thursday party! I hope you'll come back again this week! :)