Sunday, July 22, 2012

Honey Bee Stool

Evidently,
I'm a little bit country.
One of my last projects included
"Some Beach, Somewhere"
and
now this week
"Honey Bee"
both songs by Blake Shelton.
I don't even know when it happened -
that I went country.
Maybe "On the Pontoon" has something to do with it!
Now a lake girl has to love that.

After last week's big green beast project
I had to lighten up.
My little "Honey Bee" stool was just the right size.


It was a chippy shabby little thing.



It needed sanding, wood filler and glue.
I left some of the thick layered paint on the legs
because I wanted that look anyway .

I base painted the entire stool
in a mix of orange and black.
That makes a nice rich brown.



So on the legs I used the dip and drag technique
that I have used on other projects like


and




I used these colors:



My color inspiration for this piece
came from this painted furniture



Perfect for my Honey Bee idea.

So leaving the top rim the rich chocolate color
I painted the inside circle with a brush
using the gold and white
shading the edges darker on the outside.

I decided to make a template in Photoshop for my lettering.
This layout took less than an hour on the computer
but helped me move really quickly in the paint process.
Many times I just use guesswork when lettering
but I wanted the lyrics to be more precise in appearance
so that from a distance the top of the stool
might look like a stamp or a seal.



Okay, that makes life easy
because now I can just transfer the design
onto the stool.











After all of the paint detail
I used a ragged chip brush
to dry brush some white
and then black very slightly over the top.



I like the sweet sentiment,
"You be my honeysuckle, I'll be your honey bee".















Happy Painting and Crafting and Making a Home!
Deb






Linking to:   

Monday:        DIY Showoff
                      Sumos Sweet Stuff
                     Craftomaniac
                     I should be Mopping the Floor
                     Southern Hospitality
                     Alderberry Hill
                     Between Naps on the Porch
                            The Dedicated House
                           Boogieboard Cottage

Tuesday:      Coastal Charm
                    Home Stories A to Z
                    Primitive and Proper

Wednesday:  Savvy Southern Style
                      Homestead Simple

Thursday:      The 36th Avenue
                      The Shabby Creek Cottage
                      Beyond the Picket Fence
                      House of Hepworths
                      Delightful Order
                      Embracing Change

Friday:          Redoux Interiors
                     The Shabby Nest
                    At the Picket Fence
                    Somewhat Quirky
                    Miss Mustard Seed
                 
Saturday:    Cheerios and Lattes
                    Funky Junk Interiors

Thrifty Decor Chick

47 comments:

Homeroad said...

I love this stool Lake Girl! I love bees and I like yours because the legs are a little rustic and the top looks like a seal. Great job!
Susan
Homeroad.net

Unknown said...

ADORABLE, YOU HAVE A STEADY HAND GIRL!
lauren

Susan Woods said...

Just too beautiful!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Bee-utiful transformation!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

This is adorable...what great detail! Love it!

Simply Simplisticated said...

Why my dear you are "UBER" talented! I must say Im quite smitten with this sweet stool!Fabulous job! Have a blessed week:))

Sonja @ practical-stewardship.com said...

Wow! You've done some amazing work! Found you on Metamorphosis Monday.

Heidi Lisa said...

Oh Deb! this turned out FANTASTIC! Love it!!

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Oh, I just love your little Honey Bee stool, it is Bee-u-ti-ful! What a great transformation.

Pamela said...

True trash to treasure! I love the colors.

Unknown said...

very cute, love the yellow!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

OMGosh! That is so pretty! Well done! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Tina said...

What a lovely, whimsical stool. Hard to believe it was the same stool.

Have a great week.

Helen's Decor said...

Deb, I love the stool both ways. That "Honey Bee" is such fun. I'm partying on Home Stories A to Z at 181...glad to have found your blog. Helen

Spittin-Toad said...

I love this stool...You did a fantastic job!!! Although I think you always do!! :) I did a honey bee table but I think yours tops it!
Denise

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

So awesome and I'm seriously impressed with your artistic skills! Even with the transfer I don't think my hand could do it justice like you did!

:)

Linda

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is beautiful! you did a magnificent job on the graphic.

andrea@townandprairie said...

You really put a lot of time into this petite piece! Tiny as a bee, but packs a powerful punch! I love the theme and your craftsmanship!

Erika said...

My God! What a beautiful stool you painted, it's a wonderful transformation and it looks amazing, congratulations, great job and thanks for sharing.

Cindy The Victorian Journey said...

What a great transformation.. Just so color catchy.. a great improvement of it's former self. Great job.. Hugs, Cindy

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Cute Cute Cute! Love the distressing on the legs.

Deb Hrabik said...

Oh, I love the shabby chippy too.

Unknown said...

WOW! That is really awesome! You are so talented because that stool looks great!!! Please come hang out and link up to our link party "Home is Where the Heart is" Please feel free to link up any posts you might want to share! :)
http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-3/

Artsy VaVa said...

Wow! What a fantastic transformation. I love the table! Pinning.

Stacey said...

Just cute as can BEE!
Love it!
Would love if you stopped by my party to link this up!
Stacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Liz said...

Wow, that's beautiful! Liz

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

that is adorable. would be so cute in the kitchen.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I love this! I just found your blog today and I am so happy. I love it and all your projects!

Tamsyn said...

Wow, this is beautiful! You are seriously talented :)

Little Miss Maggie said...

Awesome project. Thanks so much for linking it up to our Hot Fun in the Summertime party. You do beautiful work.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

This is fantastic! I love it! New follower!

Jen Lossing, Artistic Abode Designs said...

This is adorable. Great use of color and subject. Great job! I just love the french bee motif!

reFresh reStyle said...

Bee-utiful! Girl you are good! Love it!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

I'm just crazy over bees and I just LOVE this! Fantastic job! Thanks so much for adding it into our party!!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Another beautiful transformation!

Unknown said...

Just gorgeous! I am in LOVE with it!
Clydia
threemangoseeds.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

OMG I love Pontoon! I am a whole lotta country and I just logged on to get my daughter into blogging and yours was the blog from my reading list that I picked for her to see first! I just know she is going to love you...when I move and let her see, lol!

Deb Hrabik said...

That made my day! Love that song. Such a nice swagger to it.
So glad you left me that note!
Deb

Vintage Street Designs said...

Turned out so adorable! Love it!

Unknown said...

It's party time over at Debt Free Mommy's blog! You are invited to join the party by linking up anything related to making your space a better place for you and your loved ones. Please join us at Making Space Mondays at www.debtfreemommyblog.blogspot.com. Link up starting at 9:00 (central time) tonight. Hope to see you there! -Tabitha

My Dream Canvas said...

This is lovely!! I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods. It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu

Cheerios and Lattes said...

The stool looks amazing! Thank you for sharing this at Saturday Show and Tell. I can't wait to see what you have for this week! I look forward to seeing you there.
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

Anonymous said...

You're so talented, and love all that you do!
I had the distinct privilege of seeing Marian's (Miss Mustard Seed)"Typewriter" dresser done in milk paint in person at her Luckett's space. It was even more beautiful in person, and looked as if the design had been burnished into the wood. Love your version, too, and imagine yours went to a very happy customer, as did Marian's. I was also fortunate to have met her, and she's sooo cute, so personable, and waaaay cuter than her photos, and it's easy to see why she makes friends far and wide.
I love your blog!

Deb Hrabik said...

What a nice comment, Margaret. Oh, you lucky, for getting to visit Lucketts and meet Marian! and the typewriter dresser. How fun.
Thanks for taking the time to chat!
Appreciation, Deb

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Oh you show off. Such a pretty stool. I can hardly believe the before and after. Wonderful!
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Good Time Charlie said...

What an amazing transformation!! Thank you so much for sharing!

thepecanlady said...

Love it! Getting inspired to give this a try!
Thanks!