Sunday, August 18, 2013

Old Entertainment Center gets Beadboard Trendy Makeover


Hi! my painting friends,
I can't wait to show you what happened to this:




This!



Pin It!

I know.

You have to see it again -

The 1980's went trendy 2013 style.




Cutting off wood flourishes,




refacing the door fronts,













replacing the old backing with beadboard panel,




and adding new hardware.

It was a group effort to transform this old cabinet

into a pantry that Scott and Rachel can use

in their kitchen.

We had to spray prime the entire piece

to rid of any leftover 1980s.




The primer would not have been necessary otherwise.

Smells good now.

We mixed "Peacock Blue" with some black and white

to get our base color.







Now for some rustic charm.

Double load a wide brush with

your base blue and Minwax "Early American" stain.




Occasionally, you might need to add some

clear glaze to your brush to extend and blend.

It really depends on how blended

you want your finish to be.

Less glaze - more line separation.

More glaze - more blending.

After that is dry

use a chip brush dipped in stain

and brush into corners and edges

where you want a worn look.

If it gets too heavy,

just use some paint thinner on a rag

and wipe some off.




We used a wood stripper on the drawers

and applied a new finish -

brushing on both "Early American" stain

and black semi-gloss paint.




Old entertainment centers make great storage.



Pin It!
So this heavy Thomasville

got rid of its curls and swirls

and now has straight line beadboard fashion

with fun color expression.

Hope you all enjoy the before and after!

Deb


Linking to:







18 comments:

Talia said...

Love this! What a beautiful transformation.

Courtney said...

Gorgeous Deb, love the colour!! And love getting rid of the 1980's too ;-)

Krista Aasen said...

SO PRETTY! I love the stain effect... great tips!

ibshell said...

I love the technique and am excited to see someone else put an idea I had in my mind but wasn't sure how to go about doing it or if I was brave enough to try, into successful play. Thanks for sharing your awesome painting technique!!

Feral Turtle said...

This turned out fantastic. Love your antiquing method and the color choice It's always so nice to have extra kitchen storage!

Debbiedoos said...

That is amazing! Really cool redo.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Can't even tell it is the same piece of furniture! :)

Christy said...

Wow! I love it, beautiful and thanks for sharing the details for how-to!

Art and Sand said...

You are amazing. The cabinet is beautiful and so cleverly redone.

I saw an ugly piece at a thrift shop and thought of all the people who would make it beautiful again. I wanted to give it a try myself, but they were asking $300 and I thought that was too much for an ugly piece.

Deb Hrabik said...

Oh, I agree. $300 would be too much. This one was $70 on craigslist. Still...I usually try to find less expensive than even that!
Resourceful. Bargain Hunters :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great piece and I love the makeover. Thanks for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Katie Drane said...

Ohmigosh Deb, what a gorgeous makeover!! I love it!

Katie
www.funhomethings.com

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice makeover. I love the added drama.

Joselyn @ The DIY Spot said...

Great update!

Fanciful Ponderings said...

Amazing! I am sure they love it. I know I do!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Just beautiful! You really gave it a fresh new look!

Kathy said...

Awesome transformation, Deb! LOVE the beadboard - and love that color - the patina is marvelous! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Unknown said...

WOW BEAUTIFUL JOB, I WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE IT, LET ME KNOW IF OK
LAUREN